Dec 24, 2017

Ophelia: the lady and the asteroid

John Everett Millais [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Somehow in life I had been unaware until today that there is such a thing as an Ophelia Complex or Syndrome. Reading Shakespeare's works was not unknown to me for I suppose most students of a certain age and some of the adults they grow into have read his plays and sonnets at some point or another. After all, isn't Hamlet too famous to ignore?! And his fiance, Ophelia, was tragically lost as the play proceeds--drowned, in fact, something that I noticed quite closely since I'd had two near-drowning experiences in childhood--the first in a mountain lake, the second at an indoor pool on the UGA campus--suddenly pushed in the deep end by a neighbor boy old enough to know better and who didn't know if I could swim or not (I couldn't).

As in Shakespeare's play, perhaps my shoving culprit acted as a 'Hamlet' figure...the madman who drove Ophelia to her tragic fate.

The reason Ophelia has come to visit me today is that I've been investigating asteroids, TNOs, and Centaurs in my natal chart, ran across the soggy lady's number (171), and discovered the asteroid's position on the evening I entered the Earthly Flux. Is 'she' significant to any of my natal planets? Yes! On that evening Ophelia @13Cancer opposed my natal Sun in Capricorn in the 4th house of Endings. And of course, in Astrology, our Suns represent such things as vitality (drowning would definitely oppose and interfere with that), purpose or Life's Goal (negated if 'Hamlet' had succeeded), and adult personality (or at least my version of one!).

And so I believe my fortunate reprieve from a watery Ophelian destiny (which of course may be eventually fulfilled--is 'three the charm'?) is attributable to the presence of my Guardian Angel who has miraculously rescued me from various death-tinged scrapes through the years. And speaking astrologically, I'd say that such a saving grace is found in my natal Sun's close conjunction to Jupiter, planet of guardianship and protection, with a little help from a natal Moon-Jupiter sextile, an aspect which expert astrologer Alan Oken describes as the "ray of hope"!

Your thoughts? No?

Well, if you have an asteroid's or other celestial object's number, why not plug in your natal particulars at serennu.com and find out what conjoins or opposes your natal planets and chart angles? And while you're there, say Hello to asteroid Shakespeare #2985 for me!


No comments: